Saturday 23 November 2013

Week 7 Reflection


Week 7 comprises Learner Autonomy, One Computer Classroom, Mobile Assisted Language Learning and posting on Padlet.  Oh! and partner sign-up for final project peer review.

First of all, reading articles and participating in the discussion on learner autonomy, I came to understand that learner autonomy is the ability of learner to take charge of his/her own learning, it is also making learner independent and responsible of his action in order to acquire knowledge and skills. I also learned that teacher needs to foster and help children attain a stage where learner becomes autonomous. It takes a huge and heavy responsibility over a course of time for a good teacher to promote learner autonomy considering various factors. It was in everybody’s point or discussion that task like PBL will build learner autonomy.

Using one computer and mobile devices in classroom also looked much into providing better assistance and facilitation in language learning. And gathering as much information from the reading and from the discussion I realized that using one computer in a classroom is more better than having many because teacher can keep the lesson focused and manage the class more effectively. One computer also has equal strength to provide and promote independent learning and learner autonomous.  Likewise, mobile do have handy advantage over its portability to make learning easy and fast. The rich collection of apps for smartphones are so much suitable and appropriate for classroom language learning but one very important issue is on how teacher and parents grades ,selects and assess the uses of such devices which can sometime become problematic.

I also enjoyed designing tasks using one computer and mobile or using Padlet. Having done two activities, more ideas were emerging, I never realized that one computer would have so much to do in a class. From today I will make a resolution that I will never complain having just a computer in a class, I would rather explore more possibilities to utilize in my class for my students.  Regarding the Padlet, when Courtney introduced us and I was going through the description and at the back of my mind I was thinking about a tool called Wallwisher. Ops! It’s same, I did not know that Walwisher has become a Padlet (I am outdated). Felt nice to paste sticky notes like in Padlet. Many more uses can be explored on Padlet to use in schools and in classroom.

Lastly, I felt like in Election, giving away portfolio about our Project Topic to find peer partner to review our project. However, with my appeal on topic, I could woe someone (Thanks to Diana) to be my partner and I to her for reviewing our works.
I know everyone will be busy outlaying the project, I haven’t started yet. Have a school gathering/party tonight and hope my Sunday, tomorrow will be a start to scratch some points for my project.
Wish everyone good luck and enjoy the weekends.

Best!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sanjiv,

    Frankly speaking, we have learned many things from this course materials such as learner autonomy and have tried new tools - one of them is padlet- which will help us in our teaching. We also learned a lot from each other experiences . So I feel lucky to be with you, Sanjiv

    All the best,

    Ahmed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sanjiv,
    Our moderator never ceases to surprise us and I keep waiting for the 8th week to start so I can go over the links she has provided us with. Regarding my project, I have been working on it for three days because I think Courtney expects us to get our project to be for a whole course. I don't think it could be done on a day and a night. It requires a lot of work. I recommend that you look at some of the projects given to us to read in the third week to get an idea of how to get the project done.
    Break a leg Sanjiv,
    Waseem Z.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sanjiv,
    I will send you an email soon ok… :) Feel free to drop me a line too… here's my email address: ddnadia@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete